Sheffield Corporation No. 510

  • Sort results by

Sheffield 510

Photo: Jim Dignan

The opening of Britain’s first generation tramways was often marked by a period of civic celebrations, which is hardly surprising in view of the transformative impact they were destined to have on not only people’s mobility, but also the very size and layout of Britain’s towns and cities themselves.

Likewise, when the era of affordable, convenient, comfortable and reliable public transport that they ushered in finally came to an end, a century of so later, many of Britain’s remaining tramways marked the occasion by arranging a “last tram” week, which frequently unleashed a wave of public affection and nostalgia. In Glasgow, for example, it is estimated that one quarter of a million citizens – about one quarter of the population – turned out to bid their trams farewell.

To mark the occasion of Sheffield’s Last Tram Week, two of its newest tramcars (510 & 513) were specially decorated for the occasion and, together with an older illuminated tramcar, formed part of the closing procession of assorted tramcars on Saturday 8th October, which was watched by thousands of Sheffield citizens despite the pouring rain.

p_00020_26216

510, Beauchief terminus. M.J. O’Connor, 2/10/1960.

Specification

Type of tram
Electric double deck 4-wheeled fully enclosed streamlined tramcar
Livery
Cream and Prussian blue
Seating capacity
62 (26 downstairs; 36 upstairs)
Date built
1950
Manufacturer of body
Charles Roberts & Co. Ltd.
Manufacturer of truck
Maley and Taunton Hornless. Type 588
Gauge
4’ 8½”
Motor
Metropolitan Vickers 102 D.R.3 2 x 65 hp
Controller
BTH B510
Current collector
Trolley pole
Modification

None

Withdrawn from service

1960 on closure of the system

Subsequent history

Donated to the Tramway Museum Society at Crich, where it arrived shortly after closure of the Sheffield system on 8 October 1960.

Restoration history

Still in good working order on arrival at Crich, 510 was among the first tramcars to provide a passenger service and continued to so in most years until withdrawn with a truck defect in 2006. A full overhaul commenced in 2012 in preparation for a return

Current status
Restored in operational condition. Commissioned for service as part of the operational fleet during the current season.
Date started operating at Crich
1960 for 46 years then 2014 to date
Total mileage covered at Crich
25,438
Current location
Depots
Timeline
  • 1950 – 1960Operational on original tramway
  • 1960 – 2006Operational at Crich
  • 2006 – 2012In storage
  • 2012 – 2014Undergoing restoration
  • 2014 –Operational at Crich

Crich Tramway Village is a brand name for the National Tramway Museum (Accredited with Arts Council England), solely owned and operated by The Tramway Museum Society, incorporated in England with liability by guarantee (no. 744229). Registered charity number 313615. Our ICO number is Z6700136.