Kids in Museums
Crich Tramway Village is a family friendly environment, we have recently signed up as a supporter of the Kids in Museums Manifesto. Below are some hints and tips to make your visit more fulfilling and enjoyable.
We are sorry, but due to government guidelines regarding the coronavirus, we are unable to open the Discovery Depot at present.
Children can let off steam in the Discovery Depot – a huge indoor play area with a soft ‘tram’ climbing frame and ball pit and separate soft play area suitable for toddlers. Plenty of chairs are available for parents to have a break and lots of room for pushchairs.
Outdoor Play Area
The outdoor play area includes a Mordred castle, swings, see-saw, twister, zip wire and pick- up sticks. The outdoor play area is situated near to the Woodland Walk and Sculpture Trail and will provide more facilities for older children.
Why not borrow one of our brilliant backpacks to get the most out of your visit? They are full of activities to encourage you to explore the Woodland Walk with it’s fascinating Sculpture Trail as well as the Museum’s exhibitions. They are suitable for 3 – 11 year olds and are available from reception.
Choose the appropriate backpack for your child’s age and interest:
- Calling all Explorers – Key stage 1 (Infants and families with younger children.
- Calling all Storytellers – (Owl Babies Story & Fox’s Socks Story) – Early Years and Key Stage 1 (Nursery, infants and families with young children).
- Calling all Nature Champions – Birds and Butterflies – Key Stage 2 (Juniors and families with older children).
- Calling all Nature Champions – Plants and Insects – Key Stage 2 (Juniors and families with older children).
- Calling all Tramway Trackers – Key Stage 2+ (Juniors and families with older children).
- Sensory Support – S1, S2 – Children and young people with learning difficulties.
Rita’s Tearooms offers a variety of children’s meals and the Red Lion serves snacks throughout the day. There are highchairs available and baby changing facilities can be found in the Red Lion and Assembly Room toilets. We also have two large picnic areas, one on the outdoor play area and one situated along the Woodland Walk offering amazing views over the Derwent Valley.
We are an accessible Museum with smooth pathways through the granite setts, making the Museum suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs. There are also lifts or ramps to all visitor facilities. You can even bring your dog with you provided that they are kept on a lead at all times (though they are not permitted in Rita’s Tearooms or the indoor children’s play area).
Opening Dates & Times 2020
Summer Season 2020
11th - 31st July:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am - 4.30pm. (last admissions 3pm)
Saturday and Sunday: 10am - 5.30pm. (last admissions 4pm).
August - September days and times to be advised.
Autumn Season 2020
To be advised
Starlight Event 27th October - 31st October 2020
To be advised.
Last Day of the Season 2020
To be advised.