Woodland Walk and Sculpture Trail
Exploring the Historic Landscape at Crich Tramway Village
Our Woodland Walk and Wakebridge tram stop have a range of new things to see and do from 2019, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund in partnership with The Peak District Mines Historical Society. The footpath through the woodland has been resurfaced, making it more accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
- Look in the shelters along the woodland walk to learn more about the woods.
- Enjoy the view and have fun with some outdoor games at Derwent View.
- Peep into the tunnels at Wakebridge to find out about local lead mining.
- 19th Century Bradford cabmen’s shelter, before restoration. V21 Artspace produced this preview, prior to it being dismantled and taken away for restoration. You will now see the refurbished version at Wakebridge (though some internal aspects are still to be completed). Photo below in the gallery.
The project has been funded by an Arts Council England National Lottery Project Grant, The Association of Industrial Archaeology and The Pilgrim Trust.
- Look out for new sculptures along the way.
The Woodland Walk & Sculpture Trail allows visitors to stretch their legs on a trail that winds its way through native woodland now dotted with sculptures by our resident sculptor. You may see him at work in his outdoor studio.
With breathtaking views across the Derwent Valley and Derbyshire Countryside the Woodland Walk is the perfect place to escape for a picnic or to while away the hours surrounded by nature. Look out for the sculptures which lurk around every corner such as the Giant Wood Ant and the Green Man.
Please note, children may sit on the Ant with adult supervision, but sitting or climbing on the other sculptures is not permitted.
If you wish to explore further, why not hire a backpack from Admissions which is full of fun facts and activities to make the most of your time in the woodland area. You can also download the information pack: The Woodland Walk and Sculpture Trail Version 4
Opening Dates & Times 2022
Saturday 23rd July - Sunday 4th September (Open daily)
Weekdays and weekends 10am - 5.30pm (Last admissions 4pm)
Monday 5th September to Sunday 30th October - Open Saturday to Thursday (Closed Fridays)
Weekdays: 10am - 4.30pm (Last admissions 3pm).
Weekends: 10am - 5.30pm (Last admissions 4pm).