Nottingham Corporation Tramways 166

  • Sort results by

Photo: Jim Dignan

By the early 1920s, Britain’s tramway operators were facing much greater challenges than they had in the years preceding the First World War. One problem was that the overall condition of tramcars, track and overhead equipment had deteriorated markedly during a period when all available resources had been diverted to the war effort.

Economic disruption continued even after the war was over, which hampered the task of reconstruction and investment. The period of austerity that ensued also contributed to an increase in industrial unrest as soldiers who returned to peacetime occupations found that their expectations of a better life were not being met.

In addition, the ending of hostilities resulted in a sudden decommissioning of hundreds of buses that had been used as troop carriers. Many of these were snapped up and returned to civilian passenger service by private operators in competition with existing tramways.

And, finally, as the era of mass motor vehicle production got under way – in factories such as the Ford plant at Trafford Park – it contributed to a dramatic increase in the number of private cars that began competing with trams in earnest for available road space.

Sister car 164 at Colwick. M J O’Connor, date unknown.

Specification

Type of tram
Electric 4-wheel top-covered double deck passenger tram, with enclosed drivers’ vestibules but open balconies on the upper deck.
Livery
Originally Maroon and cream
Seating capacity
64 (42 on top deck; 22 downstairs) in its original
Date built
1920
Manufacturer of body
English Electric
Manufacturer of truck
Preston 4-wheel flexible axle
Gauge
4’ 8½”
Motor
Originally DK30B (2 x 40hp)
Controller
Originally DK DB1 K3
Current collector
Originally Trolley pole
Withdrawn from service

End of 1934

Subsequent history

Dismantled and lower body sold (minus fittings and truck) to be converted to a bungalow at a farm where it remained until 2007. Repainted in a non-standard green and white at some point

Restoration history

Donated the Tramway Museum in 2004 and moved to off-site storage facility in 2007, where it remains.

Current status
Stored in incomplete and unrestored state
Date started operating at Crich
N/A
Total mileage covered at Crich
N/A
Current location
Off-site storage facility
Future plans

Possible restoration project when time and funds permit.

Timeline
  • 1920 – 1934Fully operational on original tramway
  • 1934 – 2007Lower body sold and converted to holiday accommodation
  • 2007 –Off-site storage

Crich Tramway Village is a brand name for the National Tramway Museum (Accredited with Arts Council England), solely owned and operated by The Tramway Museum Society, incorporated in England with liability by guarantee (no. 744229). Registered charity number 313615. Our ICO number is Z6700136.