Nottingham Corporation Tramways 121

  • Sort results by

Photo: Jim Dignan

Those tramcars which survived into preservation ranged in condition from complete vehicles in reasonable working order to incomplete remains and fragments. Nottingham 121 lies at the extreme minimal end of the spectrum since only one end platform has endured.

Nottingham 1 and 121, Market Square Long Row. Date unknown. Photo courtesy of Crich TMS photo archive

 

Specification

Type of tram
Electric 4-wheel top-covered double deck passenger tram, with open vestibules and balconies
Livery
Maroon and cream
Seating capacity
56 (34 on top deck; 22 downstairs) in its original
Date built
1908
Manufacturer of body
United Electric Car Company of Preston
Manufacturer of truck
Originally Brill 21E
Gauge
4’ 8½
Motor
Originally 2x DK 40hp motors
Controller
Originally Dick, Kerr type
Current collector
Originally Trolley
Modification

1920 overhauled by local body building firm during which vestibules were added to enclose the lower decks.

Withdrawn from service

Not known, but not before May 1931. The last of the first generation trams in Nottingham ran on 5th September 1936.

Subsequent history

Not known

Restoration history

N/A

Current status
Stored in incomplete and unrestored state
Date started operating at Crich
N/A
Total mileage covered at Crich
N/A
Current location
Off-site storage facility
Future plans

Unlikely candidate for restoration as other Nottingham tramcar bodies have survived into preservation in much better condition.

Timeline
  • 1908 – 1934-5Fully operational on original tramway
  • 1934-5 – 1988Used at Trevithick’s boatyard in Lenton
  • 1988 – 1995Transferred to Nottingham Industrial Museum
  • 1995 – Transferred to TMS off-site storage facility