Nottingham Corporation Tramways 92

  • Sort results by

Photo: Jim Dignan

Many of the early first generation tramway operators opted for standard ‘off-the-peg’ products from one of several volume tramcar manufacturers and Nottingham Corporation Tramways were no exception. Nottingham 92 was purchased in 1902 from the Electric Railway & Tramway Carriage Works in Preston as a typical three-window saloon open topped double deck tram with reversed stairs and, as such, it closely resembled countless other tramcars in service with various operators around the country. It did have one distinctive Nottingham feature, the deeper quarter-lights.

Some operators (such as Bristol) maintained their fleet in a largely unchanged state until the tramways were eventually replaced by bus services, but in general operators soon realised that upgrading their trams – for example by covering the open top deck -would be likely to result in increased revenue, especially when it was raining. The different varieties of top cover which were fitted from the mid-1900s onwards and other less drastic modifications over time heralded the move away from each town’s trams looking similar.

Nottingham Corporation opted for the latter approach, at least in the early years, though the modifications it introduced were not popular with everyone. The first adaptation was made in 1904, when No. 92 was fitted with a standard flat roof top cover obtained from the original supplier.

Specification

Type of tram
Electric 4-wheel double deck passenger tram, originally open-topped with open balconies on the lower deck
Livery
Brown and cream
Seating capacity
56 (34 on top deck; 22 downstairs) in its original
Date built
1902
Manufacturer of body
Originally Electric Railway and Carriage Co; replacement Brush lower saloon body fitted in 1923.
Manufacturer of truck
Originally Brill 21E
Gauge
4’ 8½”
Motor
Originally 2x DK3A3 35hp
Controller
Originally Dick, Kerr type DE1B
Current collector
Originally Trolley pole with swivel head
Modification

Top cover attached some time before 1912.
Roller blind indicators replaced earlier route boards in 1912. Side lifeguards inserted under the platforms in 1916.
1923 Rebuilt, incorporating newly purchased vestibule lower deck with forward facing stairs.
New DK30B 40 hp motors and DB1 K3 controllers added at the same time

Withdrawn from service

1934 (probably May)

Subsequent history

Dismantled and lower body sold (minus fittings and truck) to become a holiday letting at a caravan park at Torksey in Lincolnshire where it remained until 1985. Repainted in a non-standard brown livery at some point.

Restoration history

Initially acquired by the Nottingham Industrial Museum but was then passed on to the Tramway Museum when the scale of the restoration task became apparent. Placed into long-term off-site storage, where it remains.

Current status
Stored in incomplete and unerstored state
Date started operating at Crich
N/A
Total mileage covered at Crich
N/A
Current location
Off-site storage facility
Future plans

Possible future restoration project.

Timeline
  • 1902 – 1934Operational on original tramway
  • 1934 – 1985Lower body sold and converted to holiday accommodation
  • 1985 – In storage

Crich Tramway Village is a brand name for the National Tramway Museum (Accredited with Arts Council England), solely owned and operated by The Tramway Museum Society, incorporated in England with liability by guarantee (no. 744229). Registered charity number 313615. Our ICO number is Z6700136.