Glasgow Corporation Transport No. 1297

  • Sort results by

Glasgow 1297

Photo: Jim Dignan

Glasgow 1297 is one of the last double deck tramcars to have been built in Britain before all but one of the first generation tramways were phased out and of the few post-war tramcar designs to enter service during that era this was by far the most numerous. It was built in 1948 and was one of the first of a new class of 100 tramcars that came to be known as ‘Cunarders’.

They look very similar to the pre-war Coronation cars (one of which, 1282, also survives at Crich). Despite being commissioned in an era of post-war austerity and shortages of materials the Cunarders betray little of this and changes from the pre-war specification centre round ease of maintenance and saving in weight. Being slightly longer, they could accommodate an extra six seats.

Despite their superficial similarity, the electrical and running gear was very different as the Cunarders were supplied with more modern Maley and Taunton inside frame bogies and Metro-Vic EP control gear. Even with these refinements, however, they never achieved the popularity of the pre-war Coronations. Indeed, it is likely – in the interests of standardisation toward the end of tramway operations – that they would have been withdrawn in advance of their predecessors had it not been for a disastrous fire at the Dalmarnock depot on 22nd March 1961.

Specification

Type of tram
Double deck, fully enclosed bogie electric tramcar
Livery
Orange, Cream & Green
Seating capacity
70 (30 down, 40 up)
Date built
1948
Manufacturer of body
Glasgow Corporation
Manufacturer of truck
Maley and Taunton type 596 bogies
Gauge
Original: 4’ 7¾” Current: 4’ 8½”
Motor
MV 109AR 4 x 35hp
Controller
Metro Vicars Electropneumatic
Current collector
Fischer Bow Collector
Withdrawn from service

September 1962

Subsequent history

Taken into preservation privately and arrived at Crich on 13th July 1963.

Restoration history

The tram was in good enough condition to operate at Crich without the extensive restoration required by many of the other trams, though it has been repainted three times and has received some attention to the interior. The lower deck seat covering is not authentic.
A trolley pole was temporarily fitted during its stint at the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988.

Current status
On display but not currently operational.
Date started operating at Crich
1970 for 21 years including 3 years 'off-site' operation
Total mileage covered at Crich
14,901 (including mileage covered while operating off-site)
Current location
Exhibition Hall
Future plans

No current plans for operational restoration.

Timeline
  • 1948 – 1962Fully operational on original tramway
  • 1963 – 1970In storage
  • 1970 – 1988Operational at Crich
  • 1988 – 1989Operational at Glasgow Garden Festival and Blackpool/li>
  • 1989 – 2005On display
  • 2005 – 2007Operational at Crich
  • 2007 –On display

Crich Tramway Village is a brand name for the National Tramway Museum (Accredited with Arts Council England), solely owned and operated by The Tramway Museum Society, incorporated in England with liability by guarantee (no. 744229). Registered charity number 313615. Our ICO number is Z6700136.