Cardiff Tramways Company No. 21
A horse-drawn tram service was introduced by Cardiff Tramways Company on 12th July 1872. The initial service ran from High Street in what was then the town centre (Cardiff did not become a city until 1905) to the Docks, and eventually 6 miles of route were operated. The company was a member of the Provincial Tramways group, which also operated horse tramways in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Grimsby.
This particular tram operated on the town’s Cathays route, which helps to explain the colour scheme since each route was colour-coded, to ensure that all passengers could tell which tram they needed even if they couldn’t read. Unlike earlier double deck horse trams, which tended to have back-to-back ‘knifeboard seats’, this one had reversible transverse garden seats on the upper deck, enabling it to carry up to 40 passengers, though two horses were needed for such loads.
The warning to passengers to remain seated under bridges was a sensible precaution in view of the number of low railway bridges on many of Cardiff’s horse tram routes. The service continued to operate until the company was taken over by the Corporation on 1 January 1902 and a programme of electrification commenced almost immediately. It is not known precisely when the tram was taken out of service, though the conversion of the Cathays route was completed on 13 June, just six months later.
After being taken out of service, it was used as a tea-bar in Cardiff docks for over sixty years before being donated to the National Museum of Wales in 1971. Benefitting from a Manpower Services Commission training project, its restoration was completed in 1983 and the tramcar was then displayed at the now-closed Welsh Industrial and Maritime Museum in Cardiff, before moving to the Nantgarw Collection Centre, a few miles north of Cardiff.
Then in 2009 it was borrowed by the National Tramways Museum so that it could join forces with newly restored fellow Cardiff tramcar 131 for a joint appearance at the Crich 50th anniversary celebrations. This has led to an extended stay at the museum as part of the display in the Exhibition Hall.
- Type of tram
- Double deck open-topped horse tram with transverse seating on the upper deck
- Primrose yellow and white with red outlining
- Seating capacity
- Up to 40
- Date built
- Manufacturer of body
- G F Milnes & Co. of Birkenhead
- Manufacturer of truck
- 4’ 8½”
- Current collector
- Withdrawn from service
Probably 13 June 1902.
- Subsequent history
After being taken out of service, the tram was used as a tea-bar for over 60 years before being donated to the National Museum of Wales in 1971.
- Restoration history
Its restoration was complete in 1983.
- Current status
- Restored but not currently operational
- Current location
- Exhibition Hall
- Future plans
Currently on loan from the National Museum of Wales
- 1890 – 1902Operational on original tramway
- 1902 – 1971Converted into dwelling or similar
- 1971 – 1983Undergoing restoration
- 1983 –On display