We are currently having some restoration work done to the Derby Assembly Rooms at Town End. Originally built between 1765 and 1774, the building was once home to a Ballroom, Supper Room and Cards Room for Derby Society.
After a fire in 1963, the surviving façade was moved to Crich in 1972 and re-opened by our patron, HRH the Duke of Gloucester, in 1976.
The work is to ensure the 18th century Grade II listed façade survives into the next century by undertaking essential repairs and preventative maintenance plus restoration to the fabric of the stone work and sculptured (friezes and pediments) elements, including the carved tympanum (musical instruments).
Although the current scaffolding will be in place for some time while work continues, the Survive and Thrive and Tramway Tommies and Clippie Girls exhibitions and the public toilets within the building will remain fully accessible.